Thursday, October 30, 2008

Medical Flight Test Update part 2

A little background for anyone who may not have read some of the oldest posts in this blog. I have an vision condition called amblyopia, more commonly known as lazy eye. I've had to jump through a few hoops due to this, but the end is in sight. I hope.

I received a letter from the FAA today instructing me to call the Tampa office of the FAA and schedule a time for my medical flight test. I spoke to one of the inspectors in Tampa, who was a very nice and helpful gentleman. He told me what the test involves. Basically, one of the inspectors will drive to Albert Whitted and we will take a ride. I will have to perform normal pilot functions like selecting an emergency landing site, spotting air traffic, reading a chart and landing the plane. Nothing that I haven't already done.

I tried to go ahead and schedule but the inspector balked when he found I had limited time in the plane. I don't think he wanted to ride with a freshly soloed student pilot. He suggested that I wait until I have 20 hours or so in the plane. That won't be long.



2 comments:

Paul said...

It sounds like you're doing outstanding in your training - it shouldn't be any problem for you to pass the test. "20 hours or so"...does the "or so" cover you up to 200 hours (or so)?

Tony B. said...

Actually, I talked to the FAA inspector today and ironed out a few details. The letter authorizing the test is valid for six months. No problem there. Assuming I pass the test, the FAA will issue me a new medical certificate or a waiver on the spot, so there would be holdup in taking my PPL checkride. Taking this into consideration, and getting input from others who have had similar problems, I'm going to wait to take the medical flight test until shortly before my PPL checkride.