Friday, September 12, 2008

Medical Flight Test Update

I've done no flying this week due to weather, so I thought I would post a brief update on my medical certification. I've been in contact with a doctor in the FAA's Aerospace Medical Division since the beginning of this process. I received an email from him today about the medical flight test that I may have to take. His office will review all my medical reports and make a determination if the test is necessary. If so, they will order it.

I would strongly encourage anyone with medical conditions seeking a pilot's license to educate themselves before beginning the process. I have subscribed to several aviation message boards and read horror stories of delays in dealing with the FAA on medical issues. In my experience, if you are prepared, know what is likely to be an issue and have the necessary medical reports in hand the process is not that bad. You need to be proactive in dealing with the FAA.

I've scheduled two flight sessions next week. Hopefully, the weather will be cooperative for at least one.

No comments: