Thursday, December 18, 2008

Much better

I was back at Albert Whitted today. Nothing like getting back on the horse that threw you. Rob had planned a pre-knowledge test review, and that's what we did. Fun, fun, fun. There's nothing quite like Federal Air Regulations to get my interest. Seriously, we went over the test areas that I thought I might have trouble with. I'm using Sporty's FAA practice tests to help me prepare, and I did subscribe to their "premium" test prep service, for a small fee of course. I tried some of the free online tests, but found some wrong answers in one and decided that I'm getting what I pay for with Sporty's. The premium service has explanations that go along with the correct and incorrect answers, so it's easy to see where you went wrong and makes studying more efficient.

After an hour and a half of review, Rob endorsed my log book to take the aeronautical knowledge test. I'll take it after the first of the year. Then it was time to grab the key for N54666 and get in a little practice. Test review had taken longer than planned, so I decided to remain in the pattern and work on takeoffs and landings. For a while I had the airport to myself. You know it's not busy when air traffic controls clears you to takeoff and you haven't even exited the runway from the previous landing. I goofed up one short field takeoff and a short field landing. Just got distracted and forgot what I was doing, other than that it went pretty well. My GPS track shows a tight pattern that I was happy with.

Next week, night flying. My brother and my oldest son are flying with Rob and I Tuesday night. It'll be a working flight. I have to get in 10 night landings, so we'll knock out a bunch Tuesday. The following night flight will be cross country and we'll get in my class B work. Rob was talking about going to Orlando International (KMCO). That would be fine with me.


You'll need google earth to open the lesson 21 track.

Statistics

Dual Instruction Time: 17.9 Hours

Solo/PIC Time: 13.0 Hours

Landings: 110

3 comments:

Paul said...

Those are really nice patterns - it's clear you've improved over time.

Have a great Christmas - I hope you get lots of pilot goodies :)

Steve said...

Damn tight patterns if I do say so myself, Tony.

Merry Christmas!

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Best of luck on the written - though I'm sure you won't need it!

Night flying rocks. The air's so calm and smooth, the visibility sharp and clear, the light pollution drops away below you as you climb, and the heavens open up to shine stars down on you, washing the broad sweep of the galaxy across the sky...

Even better, you get to do night flying without waiting for 2am for it to be past civil twilight for a half hour, and without it being really, really deeply cold!