Monday, March 9, 2009

2nd Pax

Pax, that's passenger(s) in pilot lingo... I think. I didn't get to fly last week. The Archer had a leaky exhaust system. That's a bigger deal in airplanes than automobiles. The cabin heat in an airplane works by warming outside air with the engine exhaust system, hence a leaky exhaust system can mean exhaust gasses in the cabin. Don't want that.

I got back into the air today by taking a friend along for a bit of a practice flight. Out to the beach to run through some maneuvers and back to Whitted for some touch-and-goes. The sky was crystal clear with very little haze, perfect day for flying and keeping my skills sharp. I'm planning on taking my wife and daughter to Bartow (BOW) for breakfast Saturday. After breakfast we'll fly on to Lake Wales (X07) for a touch-and-go before returning to Whitted. I'm thinking ahead about the cross country time needed for an instrument rating and the extra few miles to Lake Wales is needed for the 50nm cross country minimum.


You'll need google earth to view the Archer 1 file.

Statistics:

Total Time: 53.7 Hours
Cross Country: 12.0 Hours

1 comment:

Steve said...

Yup, the extra 10 minutes to get the 50nm is the way to go. my head works the same way when I'm thinking of any sort of XC flight.

It's been nearly a month since I flew - tooooo long!