Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Checked out on the Archer.

I've been signed off to fly the club's/FBO's Piper Archer. It was a pretty simple process. Rob spent about 30 minutes with me on the ground going over the important differences between the Archer and the 172s I've been flying. Other than the wing being lower the big one is having to monitor fuel usage and switch fuel tanks.

The speeds are different. The stall speeds, Vs0 and Vs1 are higher. Pretty much all the V numbers are a bit higher. I picked up a POH, Pilot's Operating Handbook, which I will have to read. The flaps are operated like a parking brake in many cars. That's nice because an electrical failure has no effect on the flaps. Other than that, it's just little things like the trim wheel is in a different place, and it has rudder trim.

Rob and I flew out over the beach and ran through the maneuvers. Slow flight was no problem. I was surprised when I got to the stalls. I had expected stalls to be as exciting as in the 172, but they were very docile. Power-on and power-off stalls were mild. A few steep turns and we headed home for some pattern work.

Landing was no problem. I just have to remember that all my pattern speeds are 5 knots higher than in the 172, and when you cut the power in the Archer, she comes down quick. It will float a bit more than the Cessna. I'm guessing that's because of the low wing and more ground effect.

It will take a bit of getting used to, but it does have more room in the cabin which will be good for Alice and I. Getting in and out might take some practice. The visibility out of the airplane is good, especially on the ground. I might take a buddy along next week while I practice a bit, just to get more familiar with the airplane. Then, I'm taking Alice for an out of town breakfast.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Great stuff, Tony. I'm yet to fly a low wing but intend on getting my complex in the Arrow up here one of these days. 135 knots is great for some real XC flying.

Tony B. said...

Steve, we've got an Arrow also, and I plan on getting my complex this summer. I thought I would put some time in the Archer first. You know, some x-country to build those hours for the instrument rating.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love low-wing airplanes and definitely want to expand my flying into a Piper or (preferably, if I can afford it) a Cirrus.

Steve said...

Yup, I've never even flown a low-wing yet so it'll take a little bit of transition time. But the only Piper we have is the Arrow - unless I go fly a Warrior/Archer at another airport nearby.

The IR's definitely in my future but I think it might take a couple years to save up for that.

Tony B. said...

Steve, my CFI said getting a complex took 5 hours. Something about the FBO's insurance. The Archer took only an hour, one of the reasons I did it first.

I flew with a friend who has a Piper Lance a few weeks ago. Complex and high performance. There was more to it, expecially during takeoff, climb out, landing and such. I can see why they want a few hours in the Arrow.

Steve said...

Yeah I'd rather be comfortable in it as well, a little extra practice never hurts. If I want to fly the Arrow solo, I'll have to up my renter's insurance too. They require $50K hull (understandably) for that bird.

Tony B. said...

I'll bet the $50K is just in case someone happens to land with the gear up.

Steve said...

Certainly wouldn't surprise me. I'd like to think I'll always watch out for doing so myself - what with the Cessna that gear-up'ed when I was trying to fly home after my checkride and all.