Monday, February 16, 2009

1st Passenger


As the title aludes to, I put my freshly printed Private Pilot Temporary Certificate to good use today by carrying my first passenger. My somewhat reluctant wife was bribed into flying with me. It only cost me a lunch on the pier in St. Pete and was well worth it.

Now, my wife is not real fond of any mode of transportation that does not fall into the "everyday" category. Automobiles, airliners and cruise liners are her preferred modes of transport. Motorcycles, boats and Cessnas are to be avoided. So, I was on my best piloting behavior today, for today was the day I was to find out if I would be looking for an Archer or a Cub in the future, a 177 or a 152, you get the idea.

We did a bit of sightseeing around the Tampa Bay area. I flew south from Albert Whitted to the Skyway Bridge, then out to Egmont Key and south to Anna Maria Island. I could tell that Alice was pretty tense at first. She just about refused to say anything over the intercom. I let her use my headset rather than the nasty rental unit, which turned out to be a wise move on my part. But once we got to something she was interested in photographing, she loosened up a bit. Yep guys, she loves to take pictures. I think all women do. Heck, by the time we flew over our house, she had me doing steep turns around it so she could get the shot she wanted.

We flew east following the Manatee river, then back to the Skyway and Whitted. Alice was surprised at how smooth the landing was. Actually, a last second gust had me a little crooked on the runway and although smooth, I didn't think it was my best.

We followed up the flight with lunch on the pier, where this guy, a great blue heron was posing for photographers. He probably was expecting some compensation in the form of fish bits.

The judgement was in and if I want my wife to fly with me again I will need to purchase another headset. Not bad. I certainly don't want to use the rental unit again. Oh, and I have permission to get checked out on the Archer or get my complex in the Arrow. Once Alice found out there was more room in those, she indicated that's what we should fly in in the future.









2 comments:

Paul said...

So what was the inflight movie? :)

I hope you'll keep posting about your flying adventures now that you're certificated!

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Congratulations! Spousal support makes life so much easier, and more fun!

And yes, I recommend getting a nice second headset - comfort is a good thing when keeping ladies happy. (Being one myself, I think I'm qualified to say that!) Besides, it'll be useful to keep any other future passengers happy and relaxed, too!