Sunday, July 19, 2009

License to learn

A couple of posts ago I wrote that we were moving. Well, the big day is nearly here and things have gotten busy, but I did get a chance to fly a bit on Thursday. Don't know when I'll get in the air again. We close on one house this Thursday, move Saturday, close on the other Tuesday and leave for a short cruise a few days later. I know, it's kinda busy.

So, I took a friend and went for a short flight around the Tampa Bay area. Beautiful weather that morning, but the transponder in N54666 was not working and we had to wait while the avionics tech swapped it out. We headed east from Albert Whitted, around the McDill AFB class D airspace. Even though it's class D, you can't enter it since 911. Then we flew north along the east side of Tampa Bay to Peter O. Knight (TPF) airport.

I've flow into TPF before, so I didn't check the NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen), the AFD (Airport Facility Directory) or anything. Mistake. I tuned the AWOS for Peter O. Knight and got the weather numbers and a message saying that runway 3-21 is closed and they have a new UNICOM frequency. Ok, I've got it and start thinking about which runway to use as I tune the CTAF (common traffic advisory frequency). About 10 miles out, I start announcing my intentions. I don't hear anyone else announcing anything for Peter O., but don't think too much about it because I don't see any other planes on my traffic information system. At any rate, I'm about to enter the pattern as someone from Peter O. comes on the radio and tells me they have a new CTAF. Ok, I tune the correct radio frequency and spot construction off the end of one of the runways. The wind is calm, so I'll just land on the other runway, except the one I'm planning on landing on is the one that is closed. There was construction off of 17-35, but they were actually working on 3-21! I was really confused by this point, so I circled the field before entering the downwind for 17. Next time I check NOTAMs before I go anywhere.

I don't know when I'll be flying again. Hopefully it won't be too long. I'm supposed to go to Tampa with a friend to look at a partnership in a 182. That would suit the kind of flying I would like to do. It's kind of hard to go somewhere for the weekend if you're renting, and the longer legs and higher speed of the 182 would let me get away a bit faster. Of course, I'll need permission from the boss lady on this one.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hey Tony - been up at all recently?

I'm headed down to Tampa for the AOPA Summit in November - you going to be attending?

Tony B. said...

Steve,

I've been flying, just not blogging. I'm currently getting a tailwheel endorsement, thought that might sharpen my skill and it's fun also. I'm looking into buying a plane and starting on an instrument rating. Can't figure out what kind of plane I should get. I could get an IFR 152 pretty cheap and fly cheap, but then I would probably sell it to get something with more speed and hauling ability. It's just the wife and I, so I think a Grumman Tiger would be perfect...

Don't know about the summit. I'll probably be attending. I'm flying out of Airport Manatee (48X) for the tailwheel, and it's only about 5 minutes from Peter O. By the way, Peter O. is a great little airport. You're gonna love it. They've been doing a lot of work to spruce it up for the summit.

Stay in touch. I'd love to catch up with you in Tamps.

Steve said...

I figured you'd slowed down on the blogging since passing the checkride. Sometimes I don't know how I keep up writing about every flight - it can be tedious on occasion.

Anyway, that's great you're working on the tailwheel. Obviously you know how much I love having learned in taildraggers and I'm sure you now are also basking in how much fun they can be!

Still need to save up before I can afford my own bird but I can't wait until that day comes. I've heard many good things about Grummans - really responsive and smooth planes, fun to fly.

I'm flying into TPA on Wed night, 11/4 and heading back out Sat. evening, 11/7 so I'll be in town for a while. There's a lot of seminars I want to see at the Summit during the day but otherwise I don't have any real plans. I'd love to meet up as well.