Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Long overdue update...

Sorry about the long hiatus in my blogging. I could list a whole bunch of excuses, but no one wants to read that, so I'll just catch everyone up on what I've been doing.

We finally got moved and settled down a bit. After the moving expenses slowed some, I got back to flying more often. I've wanted to get a tail wheel endorsement for some time, because a number of pilots have told me that would help improve my skills. After getting the endorsement, they were correct. For you non-pilots, a tail wheel or conventional airplane is just what it sounds like. It has two wheels on the front, and one on the tail. A pilot needs a log book endorsement from an instructor, stating that you have received instruction in the operation on a tail wheel airplane before you can legally fly one. Now, a tail wheel airplane flys just like any other. It's taking off, landing and ground handling that are different. I think of it this way: You don't quit flying a tail dragger until you step out of it.

I went to Airport Manatee (48X) for tail wheel instruction. Bill, the CFI there, has a 1948 Aeronca Champ. What a blast the Champ is to fly. I would not want to go any great distance in it, cruise speed is a whopping 80 MPH. But flying around at 80 MPH with the window open is a lot of fun. Took me about 5 hours to get the endorsement. Flying a 172 had ingrained some habits that were not compatible with landing a tail wheel airplane. I've flown an additional hour with Bill after finishing the endorsement during which time he introduced me to spins, chandelles and lazy 8's. The spins were exciting to say the least. The first one scared the poop out of me. I was sure we were going to rip the wings off the airplane. I did two after Bill demonstrated the first, and they were still exciting.

Last weekend, Alice and I flew to Sebring (SEF), yes that's the place with the race trace, for breakfast. The wife is warming up to flying. She says she wants to go here and there with another couple. That's fine with me. Any destination I have to fly to is a good destination. Unfortunately, four grown adults don't fit into a 172 that well. They really don't fit if two of the adults are women toting baggage for an overnight trip. Well, I'll have to remedy that. I talked to one of the instructors at Bay Air about getting a high performance endorsement so that I could rent the club's G1000 182. Yea, that's right. I'll be flying in style.

I hope to be better about blogging in the future. Next week I should get started on the high performance training and I'll let everyone know how that's going.

5 comments:

Steve said...

So glad to hear you got the tailwheel endorsement, and even did it in my solo bird! Although I tend to stick with the Cub now the Champ's a great plane. And you did spins, too! Way too much fun, eh? :)

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the HP endorsement and training as well. It's in my cards to eventually knock mine out in our Arrow here...

Tony B. said...

Steve, Bay Air has an Arrow, but I don't know that I'll be doing the complex in that. I just don't see myself flying/owning a complex. The additional maintenance and insurance cost seem to outweigh the increase in speed as far as my needs go. Now, if I ever decided to get a commercial rating, I would need some complex time, but the instrument rating will have to come first.

Steve said...

I'm with ya there, Tony. Our only complex option at Stewart is the Arrow.

Still, as far as future plans go, I'm much more likely to get my Glider and/or IR before the Complex. Just don't think I need the speed for long trips right now and that's the only real reason to fly the Arrow.

Tony B. said...

I'd love to get a glider rating. North of Tampa is the Zephyrhills airport, home of the Tampa Bay Soaring Society. It's over an hour drive for me, but one day I'm gonna break down and do it. I just can't imagine a more peaceful, relaxing way to fly.

Steve said...

Yea, they launch out of Stewart as well as the Caesar Creek Gliderport about 4 miles Southeast of there.

I've heard it really teaches you how to manage energy and that seems like a valuable lesson for all pilots to learn at some point.